Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Does It Own You?

“Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness, possesses you. And in this materialistic age, a great many of us are possessed by our possessions.” Mildred Lisette Norman

Are we ruled by what we own, fearful of losing what we own, or enslaved by what it takes to maintain what we own?  It’s not that things are bad, but thing should serve us, not rule us. When our stuff is valuable only because it’s ours, we are not in control.

Does our stuff leave us less time and energy for our spouse? Arguments about how money is spent to maintain and add to our possessions hurt marriages. Devotion to our stuff can also hurt the marriage.  Do you have a plan?  How do you decide what to buy, when to buy, or how much to spend?  Make a plan, discuss the plan, and live by the plan.

1 comment:

  1. The Bible comments on possessions many times and debt too. Jesus asked the rich man to give up his possessions and follow Him. The Word encourages no debt with most Christian economists only excluding a home mortgage. The common sense approach is to not buy it if you don't have the cash to pay for it after asking the question do I really need this?
    I had a dear friend who recently passed away who used to say "He with the most toys wins". I never did agree with him and now all of that stuff he had just sits there for someone else to deal with. I bet his wife, children and grandchildren would rather have him back rather than his stuff.

    Love you guys
    Gramps

    ReplyDelete

Camping Trip

Nick & I got a camping trip in last weekend.  We went to Chickahominy Riverfront park over by Williamsburg.  The weather was nice and co...