Saturday, February 2, 2013

Silence

Who likes silence?  Now I'm not talking silence after screaming, toy throwing, food spitting, sticky hand wiping, nose wiping and the rest of activities that could take place in a room full of kids.  I'm not talking silence after hours of pounding music at a concert.  I'm not talking silence after a hard days work.  Maybe it's the drive to/from work, maybe it's the few minutes before bedtime, maybe it's the morning cup of coffee at the kitchen table, but I would venture to say most of have times of silence in our lives that we cherish and hope for.  This is not the silence I'm referencing.

I'm talking silence in a relationship.  Silence...waiting...where are the words...hello?  Silence can be painful in a relationship with those you love.  As a Christian it also includes my relationship with God.  Sometimes I'm waiting for this big voice to come booming out of the sky (think James Earl Jones!) to guide me.  I've yet to experience that voice.  I'm learning to focus on the other ways He speaks to me.  His word in the Bible should be the 1st place I lean on.  In school I'd be sure to read my books/study, in sports I'd be sure to know the rules and study plays, at work I know the regulations and read up on professional materials to ensure I progress.  When it comes to the Bible do I put the same focus on it?  Our pastor made a great comment a couple weeks ago: "If you’re relying on Sundays to be the only time that you hear God’s word, God is going to seem mighty silent."

I also need to learn to listen for that still, small voice...the one that's different then the others...the one that's persistent...the one that is telling me something even though I may not understand.  Maybe this whisper is His way of giving me the direction and His way of telling me to trust Him and to trust myself.  Maybe...

So, what about you?  Do you have time in your day/life that you crave for silence?  Do you have a relationship that has silence in it that needs some work? Whether this silence is affecting your relationship with God or your relationship with someone special to you lets work on listening for those little clues/words and work on putting the focus on the relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Most people, Christian or not are uncomfortable with silence. It's those pauses in our lives where we feel compelled to fill the moment with something... anything. Yet as you have presented very well if we do not seek silence at least on ocassion, we will miss the most important voice we will ever hear...that still, small voice. I crave to hear more of it for it is the fruit of my life and at the core of my relationship with my Creator. How could I not want to hang onto every word He speaks to me. I regret my unnessary busyness that I know has sometimes caused me to miss what He had to say. He is the one who makes my path straight, the one who does not require me to lean on my own understanding. He is the one I desire to trust and if I don't pause and listen I miss the joy that comes with the most important relationship I have and will ever have in my life.
    Thanks for reminding us of the importance of silence.
    Gramps sure loves the Kenney Krewe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Camping Trip

Nick & I got a camping trip in last weekend.  We went to Chickahominy Riverfront park over by Williamsburg.  The weather was nice and co...