Monday, June 11, 2012

Nice or Gentle?

Which one are you?  Are you nice or are you gentle?  What's the difference in your mind?  I recently read an article that I thought had some good points.

Gentleness should bring some force into the situation or relationship, but it is a force that is moderate and kind in its delivery. Gentleness is respectful, but respectful enough to be truthful and at the same time gracious.  Maybe like a true friend telling you what you need to hear vs. what you want to hear.

Niceness may be confused with gentleness, but differences emerge if we look closely. Usually niceness brings no conclusive power to the situation, whether with a spouse, co-worker, or friend.  Niceness almost has an unstated goal to say or do something without saying or doing anything truly meaningful.  It favors manners over truth.  We don't want to hurt feelings so we'll just be nice...sound familiar?

Who do you appreciate more...someone who agrees with you all the time or someone is gentle but bold and courageous enough to give some force in our relationship?

I'd have to say I'm gentle, but probably not for all the right reasons!  Sometimes I have little sympathy or understanding so I verge on the "bold" side, but forget the "respectful and gracious".  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Another thought provoking question. You are "bold" with your challanges. I'd like to think that I am gentle in most situations and for the most part believe I am though I'm not sure that I always used to be that way and find that when frustrated tend to turn to more a phony "niceness" just to avoid an arguement or hurt feelings.
    I long though to be filled with the fruits of the Spirit of Galations 5: "love, joy, peace, patience,goodness,kindness,faithfulness, GENTLENESS, and self control.
    Do you think we will ever get it right? My bet says we are works in progress. "I have begun a good works in you to completion", I suspect means He will be done with working on me the day I close my eyes for the last time and then meet Him in all His Glory!!

    Gramps sure loves the Kenney Krewe!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Camping Trip

Nick & I got a camping trip in last weekend.  We went to Chickahominy Riverfront park over by Williamsburg.  The weather was nice and co...