but that wasn't it.
Here is how he described the third eye: "The third eye is that part of us that watches what we say and do. It is an ability that we cultivate to watch not only what we say and do, but to watch the reaction of the person we are talking to"
Sometimes we use the excuse that our words our driven by truth, but we're oblivious to pain we cause. In my mind we shouldn't be liars and we shouldn't hold the truth back because we may hurt feelings, but we should speak the truth in love and in grace.
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. (Ephesians 4:15)
So how can we use this Third Eye? Here's a list he gave with some of my thoughts after:
First, listen to everything you say. Whew, that's a hard one! How often do things come out of our mouth as soon as we think of it. Do we take any responsibility for the reaction of those we are speaking to, or do we consider it their problem.
Second, slow things down. The old saying of "think before you speak". So easy for me to tell my kids that, but it seems much harder for me to do the same. We should try to consider the impact of our words and then choose words that are encouraging and not hurtful.
Third, ask how what we said was received. A simple question like how do you feel about what I said? Practice should make this easier, I know it's not a typical question I ask.
Fourth, consider their reaction. Did you get a positive reaction or were the words just hurtful? Did you say the words to bring positiveness or growth to the situation/relationship or were they simply a "jab" or used to cause injury?
Fifth, take responsibility for our words and the impact. People usually aren't hurt by any ole words, it was probably something we said. Take responsibility.
Finally, agree to speak words of encouragement to one another. Cultivate your Third Eye.
Do you have a Third Eye?
Gosh Troy you are making your Mom think way more deep about so many things then I am use to! Sometimes I feel like I am back in school and you are my teacher!!
ReplyDeleteThe subjects you talk about are good and I so enjoy thinking about them but it is very hard for me to put into words how I feel sometimes about them.
I do believe we almost all have A "third eye"
rather we choose to acknowledge it is our own choice. I've never thought of it as a'eye" but I have thought about the responsiblitly of my words and how they made someone feel. Sometimes wishing I had thought more about what
I was going to say and maybe not speaking at all or with a more gentle spirit.
I will be looking out for this third eye more and hopfully be more sensitve to what it is seeing!!
Thanks for sharing and Love and Hugs to all of the Kenney Krewe!!
Good stuff Troy. Back in the late 1970s & early 80s when I was first starting my practice a doctor by the name of Erickson presented the concept of the 3rd Ear which is basicly the same as what Dr David is presenting here. The 3rd Ear was supposed to pay attention to what we said and how others reacted to that plus then how we reacted to their reaction. The concepts are basicly the same. We have a choice of taking responsibility for what we say and do weither it is in our conscious mind or our subconscious, which in other word is simply our reaction without thinking. Dr Erickson's position was that we were responsible for everything that came out of our mouths and for every thought, opinion, feeling, that compelled us to say what we were going to say and then do what we were going to do.
ReplyDeleteThe Bible says that the tongue is our friend if used in a fashion pleasing to God or our enemy and does more damage to us and others than any other part of our body.
I know that I fall short of the glory of God in both my words and actions though I don't want to do so. I continue to pray that God intervenes in my 3rd eye or 3rd ear before I take that first step that will lead to my falling short of that glory He so desires for all of us.
Thank you for encouraging us to think before we speak!!
Gramps sure loves the Kenney Krewe!!
Thanks Mom! A gentle spirit is a great goal
ReplyDeleteDoug, the tongue is wondrous thing isn't it: If used recklessly it can cause so much pain, but if used wisely it can bring so much comfort.