Here's a video from Emma's love week student event...a little fun between projects... Can you find her?
If you didn't find her...look to the left of the screen, about halfway up, she's in a purple sweatshirt.
This week is Love Week. What's that you ask? It's our church's week of supporting our local communities. The goal this year is 10,000 hours of community service. Emma's student group met tonight. Almost 350 students met to put food stuff together to send to Haiti, they wrote letters to troops and letters to sick kids. She said it was pretty cool.
Tomorrow I will do some Meals on Wheels and will go to a local Senior Living center to teach some basic computer skills. (maybe I'll make a video and send it to you Mom!) In the afternoon, Angie and the girls will be going to a local school and helping organize the library.
Do you have a favorite memory of some volunteer service you did sometime in your past?
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Camping Trip
Nick & I got a camping trip in last weekend. We went to Chickahominy Riverfront park over by Williamsburg. The weather was nice and co...
-
I was reviewing the KenneyKrewe blog stats and it's had 6 views from Russia. From Russia? Do we have secret family there I'm unaw...
-
The 1st day back to school was Tuesday. I think all the kids were ready to start up again after a long summer break. A little TV before...
-
The KenneyKrewe has some bragging rights for the month of January. - Katelyn was the gymnast of the month! Here she is on her new lime gre...
I haven't done this now since 2009 after I hurt my hand but the first several years out here I went to Beyond Malabu in BC Canada for Young Life to build cabin's, etc with a group of guys. We had 5 day work weekends(Thursday thru Monday) where we traveled to one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. 1 weekend per month Mar/Apr/May work trips before 3 months of summer camp started for several 1000 Young Lifers. The Men's fellowship, prestene and rugged wilderness, a camp that was originally built in the 1920's and 30's with a beautiful lodge was, in my mind, a true gift from God opportunity. You can see the place by searching the web for Young Life Malabu Camp.
ReplyDeleteThat said, other than my volunteer work with each church I have belonged to I haven't done much in the way of community service. Helped move a few people, things like that but no soup kitchens, etc.
It's good that your church and your family are proactive towards the volunteering.
Gramps sure loves the Kenney Krewe!!
I found her but I had to freeze frame to do it. Lots of energy and fun going on in her "flash mob" experience. That's neat!! I'd like to find the energy to do that kind of stuff myself and with a new hip maybe I just will!!
ReplyDeleteGramps sure loves the Kenney Krewe and way to go Emma!!
Favorite volunteer memory -- traveling to Columbus, GA, with two vans full of Knox students on a Habitat for Humanity spring break trip. Jim and I were "chaperones." Accommodations for the workers were less than favorable (primitive cabins with little to no hot water) but it was an amazing experience. We built a house in one week!
ReplyDeleteCarol-I've always wanted to do Habitat for Humanity...hopefully some day
ReplyDelete